Friday, March 19, 2010

On The Fence

So since my last post i have been on 3 DATES WITH THE SAME GUY! this is pretty epic, seeing as the first 2 guys i went out with were duds. i'll break it down to make things easier ...

date 1: dinner. we went to dinner at an italian place near my house, he picked the location. it was a bit loud inside so rather than shout across the table, he sat next to me. conversation flowed really well, surprisingly. this guy was different from the others though, he was no nonsense with the emailing. we exchanged maybe 2 emails before he gave me his number and asked if i wanted to "meet up" (that always sounds sketchy to me). dinner lasted almost 2 hours and at no point did i want to run screaming from the restaurant. at the end of the night we parted ways without any physical contact, which was exactly what i preferred.

date 2: for our second date i went out his way and we went bowling and out to dinner. i wasn't on top of my game and lost, but it was a pretty good time! i was expecting just bowling then heading home, but he surprised me and invited me to get dinner. now, at this point he's spent a grand total of roughly $60 on taking me out, so when we went to dinner that night i offered to pay half. is it bad that i feel guilty having a guy take me out multiple times and pay for everything when i'm not totally into him? he looked a bit taken aback, but w/e. after dinner we hung out at his house (yep, he owns his own home! buttt has a roomie ... who is moving out at the end of this month). we watched tv in his basement for an hour or so. when it came time for me to leave it was a little awkward so i cut it short as quickly as possible and leaned in for a hug. he texted me on my way home saying he had a good time. WIN.

date 3: the tour. to keep our geographical location under wraps, i will abbreviate where we went as r.o.. so the plan was he was going to give me a tour of R.O. on foot. it was a really nice day so the plan sounded good to me. well, it ended up we just walked a few blocks from the parking structure to the restaurant. we got there around 7, which appeared to be peak happy hour time. the place was packed with businessmen in shirts and ties, top buttons undone, beers in hand. i have to admit i checked out a few of them, some of whom returned the looks. it was hard to have a conversation while eating because it was so loud, the non-talking seemed a little awkward to me but he just kept looking at me and smiling. after dinner we went back to his house and watched some basketball ... not my favorite sport to watch, but whatever. he drank a beer at dinner and was now yawning non stop and decided to lay down on the couch, his head a few inches from my lap, at one point. i was a little weirded out by this, not gonna lie. and now comes the time to part ways ... we were standing at his front door, doing that awkward dance, seeing if one of us would make a move and lean in for a lip lock. i let this go on for a few seconds before i went in for the hug. he pretty much wrapped me in a bear hug and i think he even smelled my hair ... awkward. after this, the entire drive home, i felt like a bad person, like i should have kissed him because it was the 3rd date. anyway, he has texted me since then but we haven't made any 4th date plans yet.

but really, as nice as this guy is, i'm on the fence about him. i don't get the butterflies when i think about him, when i see that he has texted me, or when i meet up with him to go out. maybe my expectations are too high?? i don't know ... i've always gotten butterflies with my past boyfriends and that's the feeling i'm looking for with this whole dating experiment.

ladies, i need advice/help. what should i do? keep going out with him until i decide how i'm feeling? ask him what he's looking for? don't go out with him again? ugh, so confusing.

3 comments:

  1. One more time...you have to see if there are sparks when you kiss! And if he doesn't kiss you by the 4th date then FORGET IT! You have been alone with him on a couch and he can't even make a move. One more chance, then if nothing--move on.

    And I totally get where you are coming from with the butterfly thing. I am looking for that feeling where when you phone beeps you hope it's him. Or you will willingly miss sleep or clear your schedule for him. But maybe that immediate intensity is bad? It clearly hasn't ended up well for either of us. So maybe give him one more chance to see if there is something there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. here is what I have learned in the last 3 months...butterflies are important. I tried with a couple guys to make something out of nothing and it just was weird (see teacher and the woman). But if you're on the fence go out for another date..and KISS HIM. That will tell you what you need to know. They say the first kiss is representative of the whole relationship...in my experience this has been very true (but that's a story for another day).

    ReplyDelete
  3. It took 5 dates for my guy to finally kiss me...and I was super frustrated about that, but it ended up working out pretty well. :)

    ReplyDelete